Blogmas day 3: The churros - doughnut hybrid recipe

At the time I shared it on my instagram and left people drooling.. 


Hello there kitty cats,

Were you intrigued by the title? I couldn't think of a better one, because it says exactly what this post is about. A churros-doughnut hybrid recipe.
What is Blogmas without at least one baking recipe. This one doesn't require an oven, so you it's more of a frying recipe. 
This summer was the first time I tried this babe of a fried doughnut. Tears of joy and succes streamed down my face as I served my pirst plate of actual doughnut-shaped doughnuts to my class- and roommates.
They were absolutely in love, my mom and little sister loved it and I really think they've loved me like 0,01% more since this recipe. It's not mine completely. But I did add the cinnamon to the sugar so I can only take, well the cinnamon of the credits. Tasty did all the dirty work! (because that's what this is, if you don't have enough flower on your hands !TIP!)

And I would be a terrible person if I wouldn't share it with you, maybe with these bad boys you can make someone love you.. Who knows, I just want to make sure you tried.

What you need:
A  large frying pan.
A mixing bowl.
A sauce pan.
A fork.
A spatula.
A large plate to let them cool down.
A bowl or some other plate to serve them on.

Ingrediënts: 
50 grams of margarine (vegan or just regular)
120 milliliters of soy milk
2 tablespoons of sunflower oil plus 1 litre extra for frying
250 grams of plain flower
100 grams of castersugar
1 teaspoon of baking powder
0,5 teaspoon of salt


What to do:
1. Gently melt the butter over a low-medium heat in the sauce pan. Add milk and 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil and mix together. Once combined, take off the heat and set aside.

2. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, 50g of the sugar, baking powder and salt with a fork. Make a well in the centre and pour in the butter mixture. Combine gradually until a thick dough forms.

3. Using your hands, roll dough into little flat balls and with your thumb, press a hole in the centre of each doughnut. (You may need to flour your hands for this part to avoid getting sticky!)

4. Heat up the litre of oil in a pan. To know when it's hot enough, fry a little bit of bread in the oil. If it goes brown and floats to the top, in 45-50 seconds the oil will be ready! (I skipped this part, just fry them bad boys, you'll be fine!) Gently lay the doughnuts into the oil using a spatula. Fry for about 3-5 minutes on each side, until golden brown.

5. Transfer the doughnuts onto some tissue paper to soak up any excess oil. Then roll into a bowl of the remaining 50g sugar.

For the topping:
Mix the caster sugar with one tablespoon of cinnamon

Extra options instead of sugar:
Melt some dark chocolate au bain marie.
Mix 160 gram of powdersugar with one or two tablespoons of hot water to make icing.

I hope you'll find love or friendship with/in of this recipe. #sosingleitsfunnyiAfter all, it's the most wonderful time of the year, so you better start baking for your loved ones. (thinking about all of our empty student wallets here, not just my own.)

*Sadie voice* You're welcome!

Kisses on your elbows,

Romy

Popular Posts